Saturday, August 21, 2010

Should I give my dogs benadryl so I can trim their nails?

I know it sounds horrible to drug my dogs but they won't let me trim their claws. Also one of my dogs has or had mites and itchy ears. We gave him powder for mites but he's still itchy, will this help?Should I give my dogs benadryl so I can trim their nails?
Your right benadryl is safe for dogs and i see nothing wrong with giving it to help calm him down. for the future if you start clipping at a very young age the dog will get used to it and its not a problem. mites are hard to get rid of it takes alot of patience and consistent treatment. come on people shes not abusing her dog giving it benadry. ffs i know you people have google look it uppppppp! youd be suprised how many otc medication that are for humans can also be used for dogs.Should I give my dogs benadryl so I can trim their nails?
Buster is my hyper dog and he loves attention but cant really sit still for long. After the benadryl he sat in my lap, awake but not hyper.My other dog saw how calm buster was and she let me trim hers with no problem! I hope soon the dogs will get used to grooming and even like it!

Report Abuse



I don't know i am just doing this for points!!!!
No you should not drug your dog to trim his nails! Take him to the vet or a groomer. R U NUTS??
My dog hates it when I trim his nails, too. He tries to bite and get away from me. I have a friend that is a vet. He told me to cover the dog's head with a towel and trim the nails. It worked like a charm.
no the medication is not gonna do anything for the nails they r just bein prissy wit gettin their nails cut. my dog is the same way. it happens sometime when u cut them to short and it nicks the sensitive part of the nail and it bleeds a lil bit. but don't give him any medication unless the vet says its ok.
why would you want to if they didn't truly need it, you should have been cutting the nails from the beginning and teaching them that this is something that needs done, my dogs and I mean my dogs of 8 sit and give me their paws to cut the nails, such a silly question, that wouldn't have been asked if you would have just trained them to do as you want, not to let them do as they want.
no. Let him play with the trimming thing and your dog might get use to it. I did it so Iwas touching the paws a lot so my beagle snoopy got use to it and then he was cool with cutting nails!
Take your dog to the veterinarian to get the appropriate medication for the ear mites. Left untreated you dog can lose hearing. While at the vet's ask for them to trim the nails. Never give your dog medication intended for humans. How a dog metabolizes medication is very much different than humans.
Get the dogs to a vet, pronto, for advice!





Plus, they will clip the nails while you are there.
No! Never give your dog ANY medications like that, unless the vet tells you to do so!





Take the dogs to a vet or groomer, they can trim the claws for you, and take care of the mites and itchy ears, all in one go!
I use benadryl for my dogs allergies on a regular basis - as RECOMMENDED by my vet. As for sedation, I don't see a problem with a small dose if it makes the experience easier on you and the dog - afterall that is the goal. As with anything else, regular nail trimmings should get easier. I have also found - for whatever reason - that my dogs are much cooperative for the nail trimming if you do it in conjunction with their baths. My boxer will not let me touch his nails unless he is the bath tub - sounds silly, but it works. There are also medications that you can get from your vet that are mild nerve medications. If benadryl loses it's effect you may try that if you need to. Benadryl is perfectly safe for use on dogs - mine has been taking it during allergy season for 4 yrs with no side effects other than a little drowsiness.
actually you can give dogs meds like benadryl and aspirin .....but only for reactions ....not for sleepiness...lol..but I would like to try that to...dogs have different dosages anyways....maybe give the dog a beer...JUST KIDDING%26gt;%26gt;don't come after me animal rights people....the vet really is your best answer because they can cut the dogs claws....my dogs have had trims at vet way more successfully than at a groomer.....good luck..let me know what works:)
Dogs are nervous and more calm at the vets.


Mine wont let me clip his ethier.


But the vet has no problem clipping them.
Uhhh. NO.. if you can't clip their nails without drugging them, then take them to the vet or the groomer and have them done.. Even a muzzle for a few minutes while you clip is far better than drugging the dogs to clip their nails..





You should get the ears properly diagnosed before you medicate.. You could very well be treating the wrong problem and causing more problems than you started with..If you properly diagnose the problem you can properly treat the problem.
Benadryl /is/ a safe medicine for dogs, but be careful to give them an appropriate dosage if you go this route. I'd personally recommend having them clip the nails at the vet the next time they go in, as they can muzzle or else sedate the dogs if they are causing trouble.
No don't give him any drugs, muzzle him instead and like quatro says - cover his head with a towel. I'm going to try that


maybe it'll work with my 2 dogs.
No, you shouldn't. You should get your dogs to your vet to take care of the mites and trim the nails. That would be your best bet! Take care;~}
NOOO!!! Your dogs could have a reaction to the Benadryl since Benadryl is for humans. The best thing to do would be to take you're dogs to the vet, (or call the vet and ask them you're questions), and have them clip their nails and while your there ask why the powder you're using isn't working and what to do. You may not want to go to the vet because of how much it cost but it's better then putting you're dogs lives in danger.
  • good toner
  • 2 comments:

    deborahdollimore said...

    We grind or babtygurls nails how can I sedate her to make it comfortable for her...for 2 pills from the vet is more then what I pay for my heart meds for the month ...

    deborahdollimore said...

    I need help cant afford $60.00 every two weeks for vet pills

    Post a Comment