Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do i get my cat to let me trim her nails without her freaking out?

my cat is about 2 years old. she desperatley needs a nail trim. but every time i sit her down to cut her nails, she just freaks out and runs away. is there a certain way i can ';train'; her to let me cut her nails? any suggestions??How do i get my cat to let me trim her nails without her freaking out?
HI there...it's easier to trim cats nails if you associate the experience with something that is pleasant to them such as a treat.





Here's an instructional video on how to trim cats nails by Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine for Feline Health using this method: http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/鈥?/a>How do i get my cat to let me trim her nails without her freaking out?
Put a sock on its head, really!
i dont think you can change behavior in a 2 year old cat, if she doesnt like it now, she prob wont ever. just wrap her in a towel and either you or someone else hold her to make it quick and simple.
Cats don't usually need their nails cut seeing as they naturally wear them down on a tree or a scratching post. Does your cat not have something to scratch?





If your cat is desperately in need of a trim though, I would recommend the vet or a pet grooming place, they have professional trims and such, but if you insist on doing it yourself, umm well just read the other people's answers on here! lol good luck
I used to get them while mine was sleeping. If I didn't get all of them, then I just waited till she went to sleep again. Over time, they get used to it. Now, my male just lays there while I do it. You gotta be quick with it though.
This will be a multiple step process.





First get your cat desensitized to the nail clippers. (In my opinion, regular large human toenail clippers work as well as any other clippers). Leave them out on the floor, and let your cat sniff them and examine them. If your cat is afraid of the sound they make, then when you are sitting on the couch with her, take them in your hand and click them in the air. Just so she gets used to the sound WITHOUT anything happening to her.





Before you attempt to trim her nails, GET HER EXHAUSTED. Play with her until she wants to flop over and go to sleep. This will make her more calm and relaxed, and release any pent-up anxiety or frustration.





On the first few days, once you've exhausted her, put her in your lap and touch or massage her toes. That's it. After you manipulate her toes, give her lots of praise and pets and scratches. If she wants to get up and leave, that's ok. Letting her do what she chooses after your touch her feet will be very rewarding to her.





The next few days, push her pads so that her claws are extended. Manipulate the claws. That's it, give her lots of praise and petting. Let her go if she wants.





The first time you attempt to trim the nails, trim ONLY ONE nail. Give her praise and petting, and don't trim any more that day.





Gradually trim more and more nails over the next few days. The main objective is to be very calm, and to reward EVERY BIT of good behavior. Quit while you're ahead rather than trying too hard and scaring your cat. You want it to always be a positive experience.
Find the time that she is most relaxed and approach it as a game. If you're sitting on the couch watching TV %26amp; she's on your lap, just gently play with her feet (don't trim yet). Once she's ok with you touching and manipulating her feet, then slowly start with the nail clippers (make sure to have a good pair) and make sure you know how far to cut as you don't want to make her little toes bleed (very messy, but not generally fatal!) I would suggest taking her to your vet and asking them to show you how to trim the nails properly (if you haven't already found out). It will take some time, but you can eventually get her used to it. Good Luck! :)
Options from best to worst





1. Let the vet do it.


2.Hold her while someone else does it.


3.Do your best to do it yourself. It may take several passes and several days to get them all.
I just make it part of my regular grooming sessions with my cat. Whether she needs a nail trim or not, I always start with a quick rub down with a brush to loosen up shedding fur, and get her itchy spots to make her purr and feel all good. As I am grooming, I pick up her paw and flex each nail, sometimes it takes a few tries but usually as I have relaxed her with a good grooming she is content to let me have my way. The main thing is to calm her and maintain a sense of love and wellbeing while doing this, or your cat will not trust you.





When it is time for a trim, I bring out the tool and just lay it on the ground next to me. Let her sniff it, let her see that you aren't going to do anything with it, and just pet her and cuddle her. When she's relaxed, pick up her paw and flex her nail to see how willing she is. If she doesn't fight it, quietly, quickly, (without feeling fear about it) pick up the tool and snip off a nail. If may take many tries. The key to getting it done without your cat fleeing is to not let fear enter your brain. If you are afraid of your cat scratching you during a session, your fear will contribute to hers. Cats can smell fear and know when you are about to try something because of your apprehension. So YOU need to relax about this before you will be able to successfully trim her nails.





Practice holding your cat in a position comfortable for trimming nails. I usually prep my cat by holding her in my left arm with her front legs over my arm and with my left hand I hold one of her paws. I usually have her hind feet on the floor as I sit cross legged with my legs around her lower body - this way she is somewhat contained and she is less likely to feel that you are being overbearing as she can touch the floor. The hind legs are harder to get.





For the hind legs I change my grip on her very slightly - by putting one front leg on one side and the other on the other side and standing her up on all fours facing my left, and my left arm essentially underneath her, I take a hind paw in my left hand and flex the nails %26amp; trim them. Sometimes my cat gets cantankerous and I end up having to take a break and resume petting/grooming for a while first. Just take your time with her, be patient and win her trust first, and eventually she will come to love getting her nails done. :)
Try to cut one nail and give her a treat, another nail another treat... speak gently to her and be patient. With time you should get it.
I have a cat who freaks when I trim, too. I can only do one front paw at a sitting. I do one every other weekend (so each paw gets trimmed once a month). I like the ';give her a treat'; each time you cut a nail idea. I hadn't thought of that before, and I will try that, myself. I think some cats are just resistant to everything, and I don't have a lot of hope, myself, that the treat will work, but I will try. I think some cats are just resistant to everything. This one freaks when I take her to the vet, so I had a home vet come. She was medicated four times over a day, and when she seemed lethargic enough to have the vet come, she snapped out of it, struggled so hard on the floor to get away from him that she peed and pooped! All he did was check her ears, eyes, and listen to her heart! He had her wrapped in a big towel, and she was mad/terrified and screaming the whole time.





Did I say I love her anyway? :-)
take her to the vet, or a local groomer to do it for you, thats what ive always done it, because my dogs and cats are the same way

No comments:

Post a Comment