Saturday, August 21, 2010

I just got 2 Guinea Pigs and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to clip their nails?

I know I need to clip them often but I need to know how first. Can anyone tell me how?I just got 2 Guinea Pigs and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to clip their nails?
To make it really easy, what I do is have my husband hold ours just like you normally would and then I take her back feet and clip those just like a dogs or what not and then move to the front feet.





Good luck!I just got 2 Guinea Pigs and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to clip their nails?
You can clip their nails the same as you would a dogs. You have to make sure you don't hit the quick (which is where the vein comes into the nail- some nails are clear and you can see where it comes up). You can wrap the piggy up in a towel while you are doing this so they can't wiggle around so much. You can either use human nail clippers (which work fine) or get pet nail clippers for animals like a cat or smaller. Regular nail clipping helps keep nails healthy and is definitely necessary! Good luck!
First, you should call a Vet. and get their advise. they will more than likely be able to do it for you for a small fee. Or you could go to your local pet store and purchase a pair of clippers for a cat, that should be about the right size, and do it that way. Be careful though that you don't cut them too short as they may bleed. But just in case, get some Styptic Powder, that will help if there is any bleeding. But the first suggestion to ask a Vet would be my recommendation. Good Luck!
THe best thing to do would be to take them to a vet to get their nails clipped first and then when your there ask him/her what device would be best to clip them, where on the nail to clip them, and how often you should get them done/ do them yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment