Saturday, August 21, 2010

My friend thinks it is best to use new shiny shingle nails instead of using up the old gray ones. Why?

It was a matter of fact thing while we were roofing my cottage a while ago. He said ';Well, we might as well use the new nails';. I can't go back and ask him because he would think I was out of my mind that it was bothering me! I was raised to use up old stuff. This is a cabin in the woods, not a dream home! Any insight out there?My friend thinks it is best to use new shiny shingle nails instead of using up the old gray ones. Why?
There is no real reason. Just an idiosyncratic quality of your friend.My friend thinks it is best to use new shiny shingle nails instead of using up the old gray ones. Why?
Most new shingle nails are made of an alloy of aluminum and steel. Older nails were made of steel and had a coating of galvanizing on them to keep them rust free. It's sort of like the kid on TV not wanting to use the leftover minutes on his phone plan, he'd rather use the new minutes, in reality it doesn't make any difference, just don't waste them.
the old ones are superior in that they are hot dipped heavier than the shiny ones
The gray color would have been from oxidation. Maybe he was afraid that this would weaken the old nails and wanted to use new ones instead.
  • facial blackheads
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment