Saturday, August 21, 2010

I accidently cut my ferrets quick when I was cutting his nails this morning?

I got some of that poweder to stop the bleeding on him and the bleeding stopped. I had to put him back in his cage because I had to get to work. he seemed fine, I'm just concerned about infection and any other things I need to worry about with this. I can't get him to stay still very well so I knew this unfortunate day would come. I just feel horriable.





Should I try and put triple antibiotic ointment on it when I get home tonight, what are somethings that I should do tonight other than give him extra love and attention.





Thanks!I accidently cut my ferrets quick when I was cutting his nails this morning?
You did the right thing putting the powder on to stop the bleeding. You clotted the blood with the powder so it's very unlikely your ferret will get an infection. With my ferrets, I hold them on their backs long enough to squirt a little ferretone on their tummies. This keeps them preoccupied and puts them in a very good position to get at their nails. It also keeps them relatively still so you won't cut the quick. Without doing this little trick, it would be next to impossible for me to cut their nails. Good Luck! and don't worry :)I accidently cut my ferrets quick when I was cutting his nails this morning?
This happens all the time when clipping nails don't worry about it and you can also just use cornstarch which is pretty cheap to stop the bleeding!
Antibiotic ointment won't do you a lot of good -- he'll most likely lick it off as soon as you put it on there.





Is your ferret showing any signs of pain or discomfort now that you've stopped the bleeding? If he is, it might be time to see a vet -- otherwise, he should be just fine.
If he's not bleeding anymore, don't worry about it. It's probably sealed itself up now anyway, and any attempts to put antibiotic ointment will just trap germies inside. Also, ferrets are very sensitive to stuff like antibiotics, so it could acually kill him.. as far as his general well-being, what are you feeding him? If it's cat food or cheap stuff, that can cause problems. Also, if he's got hair loss, it can indicate kidney failure or adrenal disease, or it could just be him blowing his coat. Good luck,and try Innova EVO for ferrets. It really is awesome!!
you wont be the first ferret owner to cut to close or even in to the quick, ive keep em for 30 years and have done my fair share of geting to close to cuting in to quick, the best way to really clip ferets nails is rub some feretone on they tums as while they are busy licking it off you can clip nails and take ur time with out them moving round to much but it heals pretty quick when u do cut in to quick by mistake if you cant get hold of tone try using some olive oil but dont worry too much it will soon heal
it ok I done it before. it heel by it self in couple days. I didn't have to put anything on it.(let it heel natural)

No comments:

Post a Comment