Saturday, July 31, 2010

If my puppy lives in the backyard, do I need to trim her nails?

I know that they wear out naturally, but do I still need to cut them? I'm afraid I'll hurt her because she has black nails in which the quick is impossible to tell.If my puppy lives in the backyard, do I need to trim her nails?
Yes, you need to cut her nails or they'll soon be so long the dog won't be able to walk. If you don't know how to do it, take your dog to the vet and get one of the vet techs to do it with you watching. That way, you'll learn how it's done so you can do it next time.If my puppy lives in the backyard, do I need to trim her nails?
Yes they still need to be groomed and cut down. If a dog walks on pavement a lot that can trim the nails- but they still should be trimmed. Your vet or groomer or even yourself can do it. If they grow to long


1. they can crack and break and blead and cause pain


2. they grow so long they will curl into her pad.



my dog lives inside,


but he's outside enough and romping around and digging(only where he is alowd) that we don't have to trim his nails.


just watch at how hers grow and if you are afraid of hurting her, you could probably find a groomer to do it.



Take her to the vets/groomers when you think they may need doing, you need to be careful because you can cause alot of damage if you cut them wrong.


Why would you want your dog to live in a yard, they should be a member of the household.
you still need to cut them. If you are uneasy about it take her to a vet or groomer to have them trimmed...but if you do insist on doing it yourself it is easier to see the quick from the underneath side of the nail.
just take a small shaving off but you need to cut them still.

No comments:

Post a Comment